1. AFTER 23 YEARS OF loyal and dedicated SERVICE, LCOL MAX SHAW will retire FROM THE CANADIAN FORCES IN AUG 2012
2. A FARM BOY FROM THE INTERIOR OF BC, HE STARTED BASIC TRAINING SEVERAL DAYS AFTER FINISHING HIGH SCHOOL. HE ATTENDED RMC, GRADUATING AS THE TOP MECH ENGINEERING STUDENT IN 1993. APPARENTLY THE CF THOUGHT HE HAD NOT LEARNED ENOUGH AT RMC SO FOLLOWING A SHORT BUT ENTERTAINING SUMMER AT CFB SHEARWATER HE WAS SENT TO CRANFIELD UNIVERSITY IN THE UK AS AN ATHLONE VAINER FELLOW. AT CRANFIELD HE STUDIED WHITE WATER KAYAKING AND ROCK CLIMBING PLUS SOME FLIGHT DYNAMICS
3. RETURNING to CF training WAS A SHOCK to the system, but after SIX MONTHS IN BORDEN Max returned to Shearwater. MAX enjoyed his introduction to the Maritime helicopter (MH) operations so much that he remained within this dynamic and rewarding community for most of his career. AT SHEARWATER HE WAS EMPLOYED AS AN ENGINEERING PROJECTs OFFICER AT 12 AMS AND AS THE AIRCRAFT SERVICING OFFICER AT 423 (MH) squadron. AS A BC BOY HE WAS always KEEN TO HEAD BACK WEST FOR A POSTING TO 443 (MH) squadron BUT when he BECAME RATHER DISTRACTED BY A CERTAIN YOUNG LADY CELE OFFICER ON THE BASE, he opted for A COVETED POSTING TO HMCS PROVIDER AND PRESERVER. Here HE CONFUSED THE NAVY BY qualifying as an OFFICER OF THE DAY AND SERVING AS A SHIPS DIVING AND BOARDING PARTY OFFICER IN ADDITION TO HIS AIR MAINTENANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
4. IN BETWEEN DEPLOYMENTS HE MARRIED ELIZABETH AND THEY HEADED OFF TO RNAS CULDROSE FOR A THREE YEAR EXCHANGE TOUR WITH THE ROYAL NAVY. AS THE AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE GROUP OFFICER, MAX was PART OF THE EH101 MERLIN AND SEA KING MK7 ASAC INTRODUCTION TO SERVICE. HE ALSO REPRESENTED THE NAVY IN KAYAKING, THE FLEET AIR ARM IN SKIING, AND HAD TEA WITH THE QUEEN.
5. HAVING SO FAR AVOIDED NDHQ, A PROMOTION TO MAJOR EARNED MAX A POSTING AS THE FIRST PROJECT CONTROL OFFICEr AT THE MARITIME HELICOPTER PROJECT. AFTER A QUICK EXIT FROM THE TRAILERS HE WAS SELECTED AS THE WEAPON SYSTEM MANAGER AND AIR ENGINEERING OFFICER FOR THE MIGHTY SEA KING FLEET. AFTER THREE VERY BUSY YEARS AS WSM, THE ADDITION OF TWO CHILDREN TO THE MIX, and ten years after the possibility had first surfaced, Max HEADED WEST WHERE he BECAME THE SQUADRON MAINTENANCE AND ENGINEERING OFFICER FOR 443 (MH) SQuadroN AT PAT BAY. THIS POSTING lasted only TWO SHORT YEARS, as in spite of his heartfelt protestations and whining, PROMOTION TO LCOL AND STAFF COLLEGE led the family East once again
6. ON COMPLETION OF STAFF COLLEGE, MAX WAS HONOURED TO BE SELECTED TO COMMAND 12 AMS, THE SQUADRON WHERE his MAINTENANCE OPS SERVICE began, AND TO SERVE AS THE MH SENIOR AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE AUTHORITY. WORKING WITH An extraordinary TEAM, HIS FINAL POSTING IN THE MH COMMUNITY WAS EXTREMELY REWARDING. FOR THE LAST YEAR MAX HAS BEEN THE G8 AT LFAA HQ.
7. SINCE THE ROYAL NAVY POSTING, max and his FAMILY HAVE BEEN avid sailors. MAX IS AN ADVANCED CRUISING INSTRUCTOR AND HOLDS An RYA YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE QUALIFICATION. HE EXPECTS TO HAVE COMPLETED HIS MCA 200GT MASTER OF YACHTS (UNRESTRICTED) CERTIFICATION SHORTLY. ON RELEASE, THE FAMILY WILL BE HEADING OFF SAILING SOMEWHERE SOUTH FOR A FEW YEARS. They will write about their ADVENTURES AT sv-fluenta.blogspot.ca/
8. a departure with dignity luncheon will be held for lcol shaw at the 12 wing officer’s mess at noon on friday 15 jun 2012. congratulatory wishes, anecdotes and tall tales should be sent to maj Jeff hall (Jeffrey.Hall_AT_forces.gc.ca) and capt mary-ann barnes (MARY-ANN.BARNES_at_forces.gc.ca). In addition, copies of quote good unquote photos documenting the career of lcol shaw would be appreciated and should be sent to maj hall. those wishing to attend the luncheon are requested to contact either capt barnes or maj hall.