Thursday, 20 August 2015

Likuri Island/Robinson Crusoe Resort Fire Show - Photos and Letter Home Part 2 of 3

[This is the second half of Liz's recent letter home - lots of photos at the bottom of the post]

After two days of waiting, we decided that the winds and the sea-state had come down enough to venture out of the lagoon, and set sail for Likuri.  The main was deeply reefed, and we adjusted the genoa based on the conditions.  During the early part of the day, it was lovely: the lagoon south of us dampened the seastate, and the wind was a steady 20 kts - in fact, it almost seemed that we were under-canvased, but we kept the sailplan as it was, and were soon glad we did - we had sustained winds over 30 kts for the last part of the trip.  With the rolly following seas, our autopilot kept cutting out, so Max hand-steered for most of the afternoon.  The wind increased (cape effect?) when we got near to Likuri, and it was quite a sight to see the resort boat come out of the pass to meet us: it was blowing sideways when it slowed down.  One of their services is sending their boat to lead yachties into the lagoon, regardless of the weather.

A boat from the resort guiding us in - appreciated as with the wind and chop the shoals were harder to see.

Robinson Crusoe Resort is owned by a former sailor, and they welcome cruisers, so after weeks of rationing, we were looking forward to resort-style hot showers and plentiful water.  In fact, they make subtle mention on their website of an ecotourism focus, which turned out to mean no running water, no hot showers, no laundry, and no place to fill jerry cans, for us or their guests (some of whom were as surprised as we were!)  Thankfully, we had not counted our chickens before they hatched, so we had enough water to last until we got to Musket Cove.  Water issues aside, it was fun to be at a little, laid-back resort with friendly staff, and few enough guests that we felt like part of the community - we were the only boat in the anchorage for most of the time we were there.  I treated myself to a pedicure (first one since Mexico) and afterwards while I was sitting and admiring the view from the deck, the kids came running to tell me that I needed to go back to the spa hut.  I was puzzled, wondering what paperwork I could have forgotten, but when I arrived, I discovered that Victoria and Johnathan had pooled their money and treated me to an early birthday massage.  What a lovely surprise!

More basket making

and coconut processing

We ate ashore at the resort buffet every evening, and it was nice to have someone else doing the cooking.  The food was simple but tasty, and I enjoyed visiting with the other guests - one family in particular had come with two smaller kids, and the mom and I hit it off.  The highlight of our stay was the "Fire Dance" show on Wednesday evening - it was unlike anything I have seen before, with swirling fire sticks, Polynesian dancing, and traditional music.  All the dancers were staff members (my spa girl was the lead female dancer).  During the grand finale, all the dancers went to the beach, where both the men and the ladies participated in an amazing display, including one man riding the jet ski "Fly Board" some 20 feet in the air.  When this same man (Gus) saw how much Johnathan loved the fire sticks, he even gave him one and showed him how to spin it (no fire yet!).

Beach time

Our private beach with the resort in the background
Dingy surfing

Benjamin on the crowded beach


and I got out on my board a few times.

The resort from the water.

The flyboard !

Gus showing us how to firedance.

Of course the kids need a new hobby.

Of course the kids need a new hobby.

The dancing the next night.

Notice the guy with the fire extinguisher ...
A little hard to see but Gus is twirling his firesticks while on the flyboard.

The dancers teaching Victoria and some visiting Irish girls how to dance.

Never to young to learn

Fluenta in the sunset

We had the anchorage to ourselves until the night of the big show.


  1. great pictures! I love the old and the new melded together with the firestick twirling on the flyboard :)

    1. Hi Pierre,

      Thanks. One of the nice things about being there for a few days was getting to know the staff. All of the performers have day jobs at the resort so with it being a small place and having kids that do not fit the "tourist" mold we stand out a bit. Watching Gus practice on the flyboard - it was only his second time on it - was good fun as well as meeting the young couple that have just started the business with the flyboard and jetski.


Comments ? (Note all comments are moderated)